On January 12th, I shared my book review for Thyroid Healing by Anthony William and I also shared my story about how I’ve struggled with anxiety and autoimmune disease. If you haven’t seen the original post and would like to read it, you can find it HERE. Today is February 23rd, and I’ve now been on the protocol since roughly January 7th. I promised to leave updates on my progress and this will be #1.
What have I been doing?
Here is what I’ve done so far.
- I’ve removed the foods that are banned including gluten, soy, canola, and a few others. I’ve been trying to avoid gluten for a few years, but I’d always slip up. Not anymore! I’m 100% gluten free and I’m not complaining about it. I appreciate the fact that I have a ton of nutritional foods to eat and I’m thankful. I’ve gotten in the habit of saying ‘thank you’ for my juice, smoothie, or whatever meal I’m having. As of now, I’m mainly eating fruits and vegetables in raw form. I do also have nuts occasionally and dark chocolate. I continue to use my own almond milk and juices.
- I’ve also stopped eating eggs. I’ve never completely removed eggs before which is definitely something new for me. This hasn’t been very hard.
- I’ve also been drinking the sixteen ounces of celery juice every morning before I eat and drink anything else. I’ve followed specific directions on this. I also drink lemon water at least once a day and I incorporate the ‘Thyroid Healing Smoothie’ I shared in my previous post when I can.
- Since roughly January 15th, I’ve been taking supplements which include liquid zinc, Ashwagandha, selenium, L-Lysine and a few others. I was already taking my own group of prescribed supplements from my holistic doc, but I added these recommended by Anthony William as well. I went with the supplements he has on his website and purchased them all from Amazon.
- I’ve been taking regular ‘detox’ baths which aren’t something new. This is just basically adding in two cups of Epsom salt to a hot bath and soaking for about 30 minutes or more. I learned about this from my holistic doctor, but when I feel bad, it’s almost an instant fix.
- I continue to use essential oils externally and also in my diffuser. I can’t say enough about essential oils. I think everyone can benefit from using them. These are just one of the things that saved my life in my opinion and helped me beat lupus, so I’ll continue using them.
What happened after I started?
When I first started the protocol, I didn’t feel much different after the first few days. Then, I started feeling sick. I had two to three days of horrible fatigue, headaches, and body aches similar to the flu. It was pretty bad. I even had some strange elevations in blood pressure.
I also had a little anxiety for a few days which included some equilibrium issues. This went on and off for about two weeks. Even throughout all of the symptoms I had those few weeks, I never had any heart palpitations. In fact, they are nearly non-existent to this day and sporadic.
Do I think this protocol is working?
Yes! I believe it’s working! I’ve been surprised and downright shocked at my results thus far. It’s practically unbelievable.
Since I started and went through some initial horrible symptoms for whatever reasons, I’m now feeling great. I’ve barely had any headaches or heart palpitations as I mentioned. I’ve had more energy with a clear mind and feel much more positive. Notably, my sleep has been totally restored. I originally had issues with getting to sleep and then I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. Now, I’m ready for bed at a reasonable time and I get up after at least eight hours of sleep.
Perhaps the most significant thing that has happened, is that about twelve days ago I was lowered down to a dose of thyroid medication I haven’t been on since 2008. I’ve been lowered by 25mcg. With that said, I did lose about fifteen pounds in between, since January, which can also effect dosage, but I don’t believe that’s what’s happening because I’ve been on 200mcg since 2013 and now I’m back down to 175mcg. Something is obviously changing and I’m not sure how to explain it. I’m hopeful that I can even go lower as time goes on. Will I ever be off thyroid medication? I have no idea, but I’m hopeful. I just have a hard time believing it because I’ve had this disease for so many years. I have to believe my thyroid is very damaged as that’s what my ultrasounds show. According to Anthony Williams, even so, you still have a thyroid and it’s capable of healing. I want to believe that.
How could these simple changes be affecting me so much? I started thinking about how this book fell into my hands and what a blessing it’s been. It’s helped me more than ANY doctor has ever been able to. I’m still just in awe and can’t believe how it’s working. My mom is also doing the protocol and she too feels wonderful. She didn’t experience all the sickness and horrible symptoms that I did for those few weeks, but she has done a little bit of a lighter protocol that has probably allowed her system to work slowly. Not only that, we don’t have the same thyroid disease process.
How long will I stay on the protocol?
I plan to stay on this protocol for at least a year if not more. Everything in me is telling me to stay the course. I want to reevaluate later on as time goes by. I’m in it for the long haul and I’m hopeful this is going to work to clear my body of all the ‘mystery’ symptoms.
As the books states, you can stay on the protocol forever if you want to. I just want to feel better and stay better to get rid of any nerve-racking symptoms. I feel like this is a reversal for me and I don’t want to go backwards.
I will be visiting my endocrinologist in about four more weeks to reevaluate my labs to be sure I’m on a correct dose. I’ll do another update as time goes on and let you all know how I’m feeling.