On January 12th, 2018, I shared my book review for Thyroid Healing by Anthony William, and I also shared my story about how I’ve struggled with anxiety and autoimmune disease. If you haven’t seen the original post and would like to read it, you can find it by clicking here. You can also follow all of my updates by clicking the link at the top of the page.
Hello, friends! I’ve finally made it back for a Thyroid Healing update. I’m about a month late and I apologize for that. Things have been crazy and with our schedule, I’m trying very hard to keep up with everything.
It’s been a year!
January 7th marked one year on the Medical Medium Thyroid Healing Protocol. I’ve been gluten, dairy, canola, egg, and pork free for over a year. That’s crazy!
So, on December 18th, 2018, I saw my endocrinologist. I was feeling pretty good and obviously had no idea that my labs were going to show…
TSH – 11.86
FT4 – 1.57
I was quite shocked! In a matter of six weeks, my TSH went way up, but my FT4 is now back to normal. I’m finally out of a dangerous hyperthyroid state, but possibly heading toward hypothyroidism again. My body is basically requesting more thyroid hormone. My endocrinologist felt that I was probably not going to be able to make it on just the 137mcg of Synthroid daily. We talked about how I was feeling and I expressed how happy I’ve been to not have palpitations, anxiety, or any of those revved up symptoms I was having. He proceeded to tell me that I’m obviously very sensitive to thyroid hormone replacement and that all he wants to do is keep me on the 137mcg daily while swapping in 150mcg two days out of the week. I’ll be going back to see him in March and we can reevaluate.
I’m not going to lie: I was a little bummed. My thyroid just isn’t ready to pick up the slack, but that’s okay. I knew this going into the protocol because my thyroid is heavily damaged. It’s been swelled and shrunken repeatedly over the last twelve years or more. I’ve heard people vlogging about their Medical Medium protocol progress say that it took them three+ years to heal. It’s been just over a year for me (on this protocol) and I’ve already come a long way. The most important thing to me is keeping the viruses in my body at bay so I don’t have to experience any further autoimmune disease. I’m hopeful.
Now, with that said, I’m feeling very good. I noticed some fatigue, chills, and muscle weakness in the evenings for about a week just after seeing my doc, but it didn’t last and it was very mild. I’m ecstatic to have all the horrible crazy-person symptoms gone. I really felt wacko and mildly psychotic when I was hyperthyroid from taking too much medication. 😂 I’ll take a little fatigue over feeling crazy anytime. To be able to sleep all night long without anxiety and feel rested in the morning is fantastic. I’m sleeping a straight 9PM to 5AM and occasionally even fall asleep just after 8PM at night. The pesky palpitations have ceased for the most part. I seem to have a pattern where I have one or two the day after I take 150mcg. Isn’t that interesting?
My weight is now maintained which is perfect because I don’t have anymore weight to lose. Things have finally settled down. For the first time in like forever, thinking about loosing weight is a thing of the past. I’m now on the low end of my BMI and steady. I don’t know about you guys, but I can’t stand having a relationship with my scale. I just don’t want to deal with it anymore!
What am I doing now?
As I mentioned last time, I’m on protocol C which is the most in depth. I’ve added in some other stuff. Here’s what I’m doing…
- I’m still drinking a little over 16 ounces of celery juice EVERY SINGLE MORNING a half hour before I eat breakfast.
- I have the Thyroid Healing smoothie every morning, but rather than use mango every day, I’m subbing in cherries and blueberries every other day.
- I drink the Thyroid Healing juice every night which includes celery, apple, ginger, and parsley. I also add in a thumb size of fresh turmeric root.
- I haven’t had gluten, dairy, pork, eggs, canola, or any of the other problematic foods mentioned in the book. Very rarely I’ve had organic corn, but very rare and in small amounts.
- Lemon water twice a day. Ginger water at least once a day.
- I’ve used many of the recipes from all three books by Anthony William. I’m now reading his 4th book, Liver Rescue.
- I’m still taking the Hawaiian spirulina, liquid zinc, evening primrose oil, L-lysine, ashwagandha, and all of my other usual supplements including olive leaf extract and selenium. I’m back to using some of my Perque supplements including quercetin, choline citrate, EPA/DHA, and magnesium. I still haven’t started cat’s claw, but I will soon. I’m also using turmeric twice a day.
- I have a tiny piece of real licorice every day or so.
- I’m still using my essential oils once or twice a week now, mainly frankincense and lavender in the bath.
- I’m still doing Epsom salt baths roughly 3 times a week. I look forward to this about every other day. It’s the best medicine!
- I’m still spending more time practicing meditation and in prayer. I’m also working on emotional healing.
- Sleep is huge and I’m still getting plenty of it.
You might be wondering why I added my Perque supplements back in, specifically the quercetin. I’ll tell you the story…
At a visit to Costco over two weeks ago or so, I purchased some Organic Sunrise Energy Granola Bars. Now, I used to eat these all the time before I started this protocol, and I thought it would be a nice treat. The truth is, I spaced something off. Although there isn’t any added gluten in these bars, they’re processed in a facility that also processes wheat. I didn’t look at the package until it was too late. I developed a horrible migraine and wanted to vomit within an hour of eating one of these. I was shocked because I haven’t had a headache like that since I first started this protocol! I almost didn’t know how to handle it. I don’t know for sure why it happened, but at this point, I realized that my body is obviously nowhere near healed. I believe my gut is still damaged and I simply can’t handle these foods. So, I’ve added back in the quercetin because it helps with tissue repair. I probably should’ve never stopped taking it. We’ll see how that goes.
I also added back in the Perque Adreno Distress Guard. This is specifically for the adrenal glands and stress management. I think this has helped me tremendously. I’ve had adrenal fatigue in the past and after being hyperthryoid for half of 2018, I figure my adrenals could use a showering of rhodiola. I’ve been back on this for about a month and I’m feeling well balanced–able to handle stress better. I just want to keep my body quiet like it is right now and stay at peace.
I’ve also been working on emotional healing. It’s no secret that until you heal your mind, your body can’t truly heal either. I’ve heard this before, but didn’t really take it seriously. I have a long way to go and feel like it’s easy to forgive the people that hurt us in life, but the scars can remain for some time. Self-love is also something I never really paid attention to so, I’m learning.
So, the plan is to continue on with this protocol and to also keep gut-loading as much nutrition as I can. After making it through the holidays without one single slip up, I’m in this for the long haul. I’ll continue the juice, smoothies, and occasional soups that I’m eating now.
I took a little break from exercising over the holidays and now I’m ready to start that back up again. I’m feeling really good about 2019. It’s going to be a good year.
Thanks so much for reading my Thyroid Healing updates. I hope posting my journey through healing may help others with similar issues. I’ll be back with an update in a few months! Feel free to leave thoughts and suggestions below.